Review of TTR 2012 – 2013
Structure and Organization
- Visioning events took place at Veronicas, Chin and Beths, and Ruth and Georges.
- Trialled a few ways of making meetings more efficient e.g. prioritising agenda items by importance/urgency.
- Ornella Trevisan organised Local Giving for collecting donations (this has the advantage of collecting Gift Aid as well).
- Rich Waring, Pete Wheat, Dave Newman, and Beth Scott went on a grafting course.
- Transition Street Wise training has taken place.
- Tony Cowling conducted a draught buster training event at Ornellas attended by, Nathan Perrin, Karen Blakeman, Chris Rhodes, Veronica Leake, Sabrina Piergrossi, and Summreen Sheikh.
- Participated in Tutti Fruity, Beth Scott was on the organising committee along with Ruth Martin. The TTR apple press was a huge attraction.
- Nathan Perrin, Sabrina Piergrossi and Dave Newman organised a showing of In Transition 2.0 at the Global Cafe.
- Chris Burden organised a talk by Julian Rose at RISC.
- TTR ran stands at WaterFest, East Reading Festival and MERL Apple Day.
- Ornella Trevisan gave 2 talks at Reading Libraries on Draught Busting.
- A number of garden/allotment blitzes took place.
- Pete Ruczynski and Karen Blakeman organised a talk by Chris Rhodes on Peak Oil.
- Year 1 of a 3 year Orchard Planting project lead by Rich Waring, with a grant from the Forestry Commision, took off with the planting of 2 orchards, one in Prospect Park and the other in Waterloo Meadows. Three grafting events were held and over 100 apple and pear trees were grafted. The trees are now being fostered at Pete Wheat’s land and several allotments for planting next year.
- The Draught Busting project, lead by Tony Cowling with a grant from RBC, worked on at least 25 houses of people in fuel poverty and got some very appreciative feedback. This was featured in a 2 minute slot on BBC South TV.
- TTR acquired an apple press with a grant from RBC. It was used in the Tutti Fruity event, and loaned to PAWS for their apple day.
- Ornella Trevisan organised TTR as a hub for distribution of the Transition Free Press to Henley, Wokingham and Pangbourne.
- Abundance gathered apples for the Tutti Fruity event, despite 2012 being a very non-abundant year for apples.
- Chris Rhodes is the TTR representative on the Reading Climate Change Partnership.
- Heart and Soul meetings have been taking place.
- Ruth Martin hosted a few crafts evenings.
- The Music group have met a few times.
- Seed projects: waste, up-cycling and re-skilling.